Kiama Golf Club History
The original “Course” was situated in Kiama itself at the site of the existing High School, where it remained until 1932 when the club was forced to find an alternate location.
Mr Cyril Boyd had become interested in the game during this time and, on his own land, had built several rough holes on which to practice. These he kept mowed with a hand mower.
When Kiama Golf Club had to move, he offered his “golf area” to the club for a nominal rental of 10/- a week. As he was still running cattle on the land, he had to fence off the green areas with barbed wire.
Mr Boyd left his farm jointly to his sons, Alan and Sam – but retained a life interest in it. They were still farming the area on which he played his golf.
The Land between Federal Avenue and the existing clubhouse was in reasonable condition but the rest had to be cleared of lantana and bracken fern by hand. The children in the area, the original golfers and their wives, all helped. This was approx., 1933 and there was a membership of around 15-20 combined members and associates. They developed a nine-hole course and called in Eric Apperley to design it. The fairways were made by horse-drawn roller at approx. 3 m.p.h. The rough was chopped down with a crop mower. These were supplied by Mr Boyd.
In 1933 or 34 the first greenkeeper was employed. He was also caddy-master and employed several local boys as caddies. His name was Ken Tate and one of the caddies was Evan Evans.
The original clubhouse had been a shed but by 1936 was developed into a more elaborate establishment.
Dr Stephen and Dr Crennar (both original members) were contacted whilst they were playing golf by the raising of different coloured flags on the flag pole. They then knew that a particular doctor was needed and he could come up from the Couse.
During the war, the club was kept in existence by the efforts of Dr Stephen and Mr Boyd, who encouraged the use of the hall for socials (the women would bring a plate and the men pay 4/-.) The course did, however, close down for part of the war years – from 1942 to 1945. The socials continued in this way though until the mid-sixties.
After the club resumed in 1945, membership grew steadily. The course was still very rough and there were approx. 20 associates and 40 members.
The site of the existing 2nd green was where a cottage, owned by Mr Joe Moore, Stood. This cottage was made of canvas, hessian, and galvanized iron. It was painted with white-wash and was in immaculate condition. Mr Moore and his wife would provide refreshments for the players and worked on the course and they later became the original caterers for the club. As money became available, the clubhouse was extended and the course was re-designed by Mr Alan Howard into an 18-hole course. This was October, 1957. The course was officially sighed over to the members in 1964 by Alan and Sam Boyd. Who were made Life Members. Both these men and their wives, Margaret and Val, became exceptional players as one only has to read on the Championship Board. Margaret’s son Alan Jnr., is also playing well-he has won the 1978 “B” Grade Championship as well as other District junior events.
Kiama Golf Club now boasts membership of approx. 1500 and is regarded as the best wet-weather course on the South Coast.